PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I cope with ATPL and University at the same time?
Old 28th Jun 2012, 18:27
funkydreadlocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
busy beeeee....

@Kristoff

Sure my friend, it'll be a learning experience for the both of us.

@Ghenghis the Engineer (awesome username btw)

Thanks for the tips! i'm definitely listening to you about not letting the ATPL get in the way of my degree studies. I'm aware about the difficulties it'll cause for our relationship but as because my girlfriend is a busy med student and I have a personality that tends to force me to push myself (sometimes to beyond my capabilities) we made a pact to understand each other during testing moments when it comes to having little time to see each other.

I actually made a chart to show my dad, showing every month for the next three years and what modules of my pilot training I would try and work at each month (as a very rough guideline). In this guideline, no matter how efficiently I study, the training will end after graduation. Therefore I will take note on what you said about ending all my training after graduation.

@taxistaxing

I'm sorry if I made it sound like having a job isn't hard! I know it's tough on people, my dad works from 8am till 8pm every day and has two weeks of holiday a year. I'm really appreciate everything he does because it's thanks to him I can do this! He's my sole sponsor.

"Believe me once you start working your perception of how busy you are will change"

I know I'm not busy right now compared to the average employee, but I have experienced the busy life. I was doing an Astrophysics Bsc for two years and I was up at 7am and studied and went to class until 3am, with my only breaks being the walks between classes and my flat and shoving the microwave food into that evil little metal box so that I could study while having my meals. I was pulling off 60 hour weeks when you include classes, tutorials labs and assignments. I gave that up (it made me sick from the lack of sleep) and changed to Sports Science, now I'm definetely NOT busy. But nevertheless it's still two courses at once.

I think you make an excellent point about holding off in the consolidation due to the fact that I can't work on the CPL without the ATPL. But here's I question: how long is my ATPL valid for before I start the CPL? because it would suck if I lose all that time consolidating and end up having to retake the ATPL exams to be allowed to go through with the CPL. Keep in mind I only have 26h PIC and a total of 83h.