PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Employed by an airline with 250hrs!
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2002, 16:00
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I expressed my opinion before on this subject and it still hasn't changed. Now more than ever the competition a low hours pilot is up against is stiffer than ever. I still think a 200hr pilot and a 1000hr pilot are low hours pilots. So don't kid yourself into thinking that because you've built some hours in a single it should put you to the front of the queue. Broadly speaking it's hours that matter, but quality is as important as quantity. If there is a minimum number specified for a specific operator then, yes, that quantity is important, but you are still in the race with an awful lot of more highly 'houred' pilots. That is the blunt reality.

From my limited experience the airlines seem to be tending more towards the individual rather than the 'hours'. They want a pilot who fits their desired profile rather than the guy with the most 'hours', especially in these HR driven times.

This probably doesn't make for happy reading for those newly qualified CPL's out there, but this IS the reality. So what do you do? You make your luck. If you send 200 cv's and get no response then you send some more, but not just sending cv's, improve your skill set by flying anything for anyone, anywhere. Sounds too hard does it? Well unfortunately if it does then you will become another statistic. You need to get out there, making aquaintances, meeting people who can put in a word or get your cv read. Networking. You MUST get the inside track. You must learn who's recruiting before or as it happens and don't give up, be persistent. That is the only way you will get the interview, because if you don't someone else will. That's making your own luck, sitting back at home bleating because you have spent too much money on stamps already is not. It's easy to get depressed by the seeming impossiblilty of securing a job and the one thing that is sure is that will drag you down and leave you resentful of the whole industry. Some people take a couple of years before they really understand the harsh reality of this industry. That's usually two years lost of experience building.

If it's all too much then you don't deserve the job. I wouldn't want to sit behind you as a pax if that was your attitude. Airlines want winners who bounce back from setbacks and keep a positive attitude............you'll need it if things go pearshaped at V1.

Chin up. Good (self made) luck.

PP