PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian CHPL from Indian CHPL
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2012, 21:58
newfieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huey,
I think What Limits means is being a helicopter pilot DOES NOT score any points on the immigration form.Immigration is as far as I know still worked on a points system.

When I came to Canada 20 odd years ago from the UK being a pilot scored big points as it was classed as a sort after profession, there was also a shortage.so with a couple thousand hours as long as you passed an immigration medical, spoke English or French, simples.Now in recent times we had a lot of Aussies, Kiwis etc coming over and working,the low timers and also a few high timers who couldn't get work started lobbying immigration claiming "not fair ya di ya" so immigration backed off on issuing work permits to foreigners.Company I work for has in past sponsored work permits. I haven't heard of any lately though.So in theory although not impossible to get a work permit, you won't get one like we did years ago for being a pilot.I have 12000hrs+ with about 8000 of those longline, it wouldn't get me a work permit now.Although if I was say,a doctor with a CPL I would maybe get one for being a doctor, the pilot bit wouldnt count.Pleased I got in when the going was good. Shame really for you guys looking, cos yes there is a lot of work for guys with a few thou hrs.....
Newfie....