PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 25th Jun 2012, 21:45
Roland G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
641 GS at Ouston then Dishforth

What a wonderful thread of memories. Happy, carefree days of mid to late teens. Sitting in the Austin 1 ton truck in the hangar at RAF Ouston at 12-45pm one Saturday waiting for our instrucors to return from their lunch at the officers mess listening to "Round Britain Quiz" on the radio and feeling so happy to be there in that moment in time with all the anticipation of being taught how to fly later.

The gliding school was on an active RAF station [care and mintenance
basis in 1971] wih all the supporting infrastructre that the good old RAF could provide for us. A nice billet, clean bedding, meals at the airmans mess, nice yellow land rovers etc.

Alan, your post said you were writing a history - happy to help if I can - I logged up over 1,000 flights on my way to becoming a C - cat instructor with 641 GS.

There are several mentions in the thread of RAF Syerston and the Royal Barge. I belive I had the same instructor as Prince Andrew ie FLT/LT Peter Bullivant - a fine gentleman and pilot.

Sad when we were chopped after moving to RAF Dishforth. Cadets came from Tyneside but had to travel past the gliding school at Catterick airfield to reach us at Dishforth. A practical solution should have been found for the benefit of young air cadets.

cheers

Roland