PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation 750 down in Egelsbach.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 15:00
Sillypeoples

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have taught biz owners how to fly their jets for some time. A common component is an ego that translates 'if he can do it, I can do it'...which tends to serve them well in business, but if I land their jet with ease on a short runway, then I later learned that's like planting a flag on Everest, now they want to rush up the hill to do what I did.

Combine that with my attitude that 'you can do it, I'll teach you'...can get some guys in trouble.. WHEN I AM NOT THERE.

More often then not, biz owners just don't have the experience flying around year after year experiencing what pro pilots see...they have the money to buy the plane, they get signed off, now they think they are as good as the rest of us that do this for a living.

Make the condition at night, some wind, marginal visibility, add in the fact that they don't have short field experience, so instead of knowing to plant it on the numbers, or doing a go around, they run it down the runway a third like they were taught, 20 knots fast...the plane floats, anti lock brakes come on...they throw the buckets out when they aren't planted, so now they have 500 ft of runway left at 100 knots, committed and they don't have rubber on the ground. They can't stop, they can't go around.

Few pilots honestly have critical flight operation (CFO) experience where they HAVE to fly the aircraft to it's performance limitations, and sometimes beyond...they are working in the margins of how they were taught and the runway or conditions that day won't allow it, they have to push their abilities and aircraft to get the job done, and most guys have never done that, so they can get themselves in trouble.

Putting a ten on a 4600 ft field requires critical airspeed control, hitting the numbers, generally with a very low stabilized approach, at speeds that are on the slow side of normal, everything is 'done' on downwind, all that has to be done is hitting the numbers and stopping the aircraft. The danger is getting to low on the approach side, or landing to far down, to fast, buckets out on the other end.

So bottom line, these guys weren't up to the task, and the passengers paid for it.