PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet to close Madrid
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 14:43
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROBMEDIUM - something of an irrational rant and a bit short on facts for a first couple of posts. Still, always best to start as you mean to go on.

Basic Service - a very good and moving post. I believe our CEO has done her very best in very difficult circumstances. I truly hope we have a base back in Spain soon, but if we do the contracts will look very different indeed to what we had up until now. EasyJet have been snookered by a combination of insane airport management, market over-capacity, Spanish government bureaucracy and unsupportable labour costs. For us to return to Spanish basing, every one of those issues would have to be addressed. The bottom line is that, just like any of our own households, money-in has to exceed money-out over a period of time - that was clearly not the case here.

I am particularly moved by the plight of our Cabin Crew but know the pilots will have massive upheaval too. If a highly-profitable company like easyJet cannot make a Barajas base work, then I do not expect many other companies can. As others have said, the great consolation is the offering of other jobs to all pilots and cabin crew affected.