PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish F4 "Vanishes"
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 08:51
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,619 Likes on 739 Posts
Given that the Turks are not denying Syrian claims that it was downed 1km from the coast, I don't think they've got a leg to stand on.
That depends. If you wanted an incident which would push them into declaring humanitarian corridors into northern Syria and a No-Fly Zone - with Syrian air defences being suppressed, you might just have seen it.

Turkey is increasingly looking east and wants to be seen as the dominant Islamic nation in the region. That sets up a confrontation between Iran as the main Shia nation and Turkey as the Sunni, the civil war (and it is now a civil war) in Syria as a proxy.

Ah, you might say, buy isn't Iran about to become a nuclear power? To which I'd say watch this space. I'm sure Turkey can talk nicely to Islamabad about technology, as for the rest....

Turkey aims to increase ballistic missile ranges

Nuclear Plant is a Must for Sustainable Energy in Turkey

.......Turkey had announced plans to build three nuclear power plants with a total of at least 12 units by the year 2023. Turkey had already sealed a deal with Russia's nuclear engineering company Atomstroyexport, which will build the country's first nuclear power plant in the Mediterranean port of Mersin in the Akkuyu area.

Last edited by ORAC; 23rd Jun 2012 at 09:02.