PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Deccan Part II
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 07:13
Wannabe Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but since air india was nationalised, tata has tried thrice to start an airline again but did not go right
Vishwas

I have searched and searched and cannot find any reference to this except for the attempt with SQ way back in the 1990's when private airlines were first allowed. IN order to keep Tata out who was going to go to it with SQ the then aviation minister changed the FDI rules not permitting international airlines to invest under FDI but allowing FDI from other sources. The moment the rule was changed SQ and TATA decided not to go ahead. at that time the only other big player who had FDI from non aviation sources was 9W.

I am unable to find any other attempt besides comments he has made as to why he did not want to enter aviation and this can hardly be termed as an attempt to enter aviation. He has never ever even applied for a license for a group company besides the private charter business of his in the entire 17 years of privatized aviation in India. Niether has he looked at acquiring an ailing company or buying equity in a carrier.

The most profitable years for Indian aviation was in the period when Modi Luft and East West and the likes shut down and left few quality players around. During this phase airfares were still lower on an average than the 1980's. Today also the domestic airfares are to a great extent lower / similar or unchanged from 1998. In 1998 with advance booking one could get DEL - BOM - DEL for about 8500 and today it is showing at 9500. Not too bad considering all other aspects I say. In fact a IATA report today has shown that airfares in India compared to 5 other countries (US, UK, AUstralia, China and Russia) are actually lower in spite of costs being higher. Gopi shutting down would have removed the irrational pricing and IT might have survived. Instead VM ego got in the way and he is also spiraling down.

Today the traveller is so spoiled because of the Rs 1 dharma and still quotes it and moans about the fares, but if you ever flew Delhi - CCU - Delhi in 1987 on IC it cost a princely sum