PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 20th Jun 2012, 14:39
Grotbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post so please don't bite!

I'm in my early twenties and I've recently looked into professional training. I've had a long standing interest but have never had the finances to seriously consider it. I trained as a seafarer and now work in the private yacht industry for high profile clients and am earning enough to make flying training a reality.

I've resoundingly read that modular is the way to go. I work a three months away/one month at home rotation pattern but am considering dropping back to a two on/two off (albeit for less money) and beginning training. The other option is I work for the next 24 months flat out and save a large sum and commit to an integrated/modular course with enough left over to do a type conversion and live comfortably for the duration. Whatever course I choose, debt is something I would like to avoid if at all possible.

My present work is very flexible and transient, I can take and leave work at relatively short notice. If I were to achieve an fATPL and struggle to find work straight away I can't see myself having too much trouble falling back on my maritime qualifications. I am hoping that as a self funded student who has earned the finances for their courses and worked in demanding environments before I should be in with a fairly good chance. I am used to working in an informal place where your reputation and networking are as important as what's on your CV.

I'm ultimately asking:

a) If you can afford integrated is it worth the extra money
b) If you chose modular, could you fit training around seasonal or part time overseas work
c) If you studied full time for a modular course instead of integrated what are the differences aside from one's residential?
d) How much of a benefit is it to have a few years life experience and responsibility when applying for your first position in the industry?

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had a chance to read through the whole forum yet so sorry if I have asked something that has already been answered. I also have only a basic knowledge of the present aviation industry so any useful reference material, please send it my way.