PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Raw data ILS technique
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2012, 20:29
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi busserday

no problem...many years ago all we said was, you need to have the runway environment in sight to leave DH and land.

runway environment could mean many things and then someone wrote down what the runway environment really meant. it is in the US FAR's in a couple of places...I think part 91 is the place to start.

at DH if you see the flashing strobe lights of the approaching lighting system but see nothing else, you may continue descent to touchdown zone plus 100' until you see more of the items:

runway
runway threshold
runway markings
VASI
threshold lights
runway edge lights
red terminating bars
centerline lights
REIL lights
touchdown zone lights
touchdown zone markings

now in practical flying, you don't think, you just say: can I see to land?...OK land. trying to remember that stuff at DH is a handful...
indeed< I haven't looked it up and am doing it from memory...so please anyone with the regs in front of them can correct me.

and there are professional pilots to day who don't know they can go to touchdown zone elevation plus 100 feet just on the strobes/rabbit(as we called it).

I grew up flying in really heavy fog and the above trick (perfectly legal) is what seperates the landings from the go arounds.

Last edited by sevenstrokeroll; 17th Jun 2012 at 20:31.