PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dana Air Passenger plane 'crashes into building in Lagos'
Old 13th Jun 2012, 08:04
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so sure about that one...

Crashing into a populated area, killing yourself, all aboard and some folks on the ground... that seems to fall into the category of 'making a bit of a mess of things,' doesn't it? Screaming is 'out,' yes, but even more so is crashing and dying, whatever the reason.

There's an odd mindset at work when people need to imagine what went on in the cockpit of an accident aircraft while knowing next to nothing of the facts. (The only first-hand account I ever had was really surprising, nothing like what I would have guessed, from a fellow who was sat on the jumpseat during a crash that killed both flight crew.)

I think we need to wait for some more information before we apportion praise or blame. According to Flight International's David Learmount, there should be some sort of initial report from the Nigerian authorities in about a month. I want to see that before I even start to think about what happened there. That they must have run out of fuel is the most obvious, best guess, but then the big question would be 'Why?' on what is normally a flight of about one hour.

Like most accidents, this one is likely to have been the product of a chain of events, when right now we are missing most of the links.