PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA interviews
Thread: SAA interviews
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 17:31
NextLegUndefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interview study

Hi Figo

Study the ATC section of the Jepp manual (ICAO doc 8168), ACE The Technical Pilot Interview (I forget the author), CRM material, SAA's risk management model (if you can get it), the latest issue of Intercom (SAA Flight Ops internal magazine) and as much info as you can on the aeroplane you are currently flying or have most of your experience on.

I didn't have anyone push my CV through, I knew a few people who worked for SAA (like all pilots do) who helped me apply at the right time (i.e. when the HR wheel started turning) and guided me to study the above material.

Many of the pilots who make claims (on PPRUNE) about what SAA are doing, inadvertently set limitations on others who decide, like I used to, to not bother with an application because "it isn't going to happen anyway." My advice is to make your application and give of your best, it paid off for me. I didn't come from an airline, I never went to the SAAF and I am not related to anyone in the organisation, I did not share any close friendships with anyone in SAA prior to employment, I am not a cadet graduate nor am I a HDI (Historically Disadvantaged Individual). I built my experience the hard way (like everyone else) and I study almost every day to improve my knowledge. In short, I am not special or exceptional and I got in through putting in the work.

The selection process was really tough but conducted in a very professional and respectful manner which are two qualities, I have noticed, are part of the culture at SAA Flight Ops. The airline needs good quality applicants, don't listen to the naysayers on PPRUNE. Also, you can take what the airline says about employing black pilots only with an A340 cargo load of salt too, it is going to take a very, very long time to get what they are after.

Keep applying and studying.