PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How are JetGo going
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 07:36
Nulli Secundus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmmm.... I'm mostly with propstop on this one. Starting a business is exciting but there's generally only one bite of the cherry. Do your dough at the start and there's almost no chance of bouncing back without a significant change of plan or outside assistance. In aviation it will be even less forgiving. I think these guys will (should) be very busy building their markets/ contracts/ relationships and getting their aircraft & crew fully utilised.

They need everything going their way right now to prove to the market they can deliver on a point of difference. What exactly that is I have no idea, but start ups without one in a maturing market don't survive. Workload would be astronomical right now, but that said, great communication is such a winner with staff, prospective staff & customers in this business. It builds loyalty & helps fortify one's business. Sometimes its the little things that aren't so little & can turn out to be your point of difference.

Putting aside the glaringly obvious, its impossible to ever know if your business will fly until you actually do it. What I would hope to see is a rapid ramp up of airframes, crew and operations before the year's out. Staying small is a really nice idea but without the economies of scale needed in such a capital intensive operation, the financials become too hard to sustain. Deep pockets are not a sign of success.

Now with one operating airframe, they have something to offer customers. If they wish to carve out a niche & stave off the competition as a stand alone business, my approach would be to get up a significant head of steam as soon as possible. Generally, the effort deployed in the first 6-12 months almost entirely decides the success of any start up or at the very least, the time needed to reach that point of sustainable, long term viability.