PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biz jet pilot looking to get into the airlines - any advice?
Old 10th Jun 2012, 13:39
jetstreamrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's continue this discussion seeing as the recession still bites!!

So I am going to revive this discussion and see who has any words of wisdom.

I am a corporate pilot with a well paid job but one where I am sometimes spending over a month without flying and just getting tired and bored of the slow progress. Still a co-pilot with under 2000hrs after five years and at a point where I am seriously considering the airlines. I'm in my late twenties.

I started out thinking of the airlines when I decided to be a pilot and kind of fell into corporate by chance which was no bad thing. But I have always wondered and pondered about the airlines and now after being made redundant several times and having to live in a different country in order to keep a job, I am thinking it might be wise to apply to a regional in the UK or something similar or better if possible.

Yes I love the fun down route in corporate, the countries we fly to from Shanghai to Toronto and everywhere in between, but I feel I now need something more progressive and stable.

I have concerns, the main two being the big pay cut I will have to take and the possibility of being located in a far flung corner of the UK when London is my home and preferred place to live...albeit hours closer to home than I am now!!

Thinking it is wise to make the move now rather than later when the pay cut will be even worse.

Has anyone else done the same recently and did your concerns and unknowns turn out to be worth it in order to get into the airlines? Has it met your expectations?

Appreciate any insights and experiences!