PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO 105 - Good, Bad or just Ugly?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2012, 20:26
dieseldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severe cracking of the 105 fuselage would occur anytime after 5000 hours.

The worst area was the structure around the aft righthand A frame leg.
The first one I saw had a 4 inch crack within the right hand main box frame only visible through the lightening holes.

When the structure was removed around the airframe mounted bracket it came out in pieces, cracked to bits.

I saw one aircraft at rotortech so badly cracked they had to remove all the structure above floor level!!!!!!!!

The tailboom used to crack mid tailboom on the right hand side. Usually you will find a large patch there about 3 feet long and a foot high.
This crack was caused by skin flexing and would appear central in an area of skin. Not serious.

One of the drivers behind Bond using new fuselages on it's 105's was the ongoing cracking problems. It gave them the option of stretching the aircraft at the same time.

It was generally felt that the german spec aluminium was part of the problem. It was annodised and had great anti corrosion properties.
Aircraft that operated offshore for years had very little corosion.
However it was felt that the material would age harden and crack sooner than expected.
Couple this to a main transmission bolted rigidly to the aircraft with no vibration damping and it was a recipe for cracks.

Great aircraft one of my favourites.

Get a survey done by someone who really knows the aircraft before you part with any money. Cavaet Emptor!!!!!!!