PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham solves Heathrow's capacity problem
Old 8th Jun 2012, 00:05
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Probably one of the reasons that we have long haul from a number of regionals and euro connections from many more - is the lack of a high speed rail service. If there were dedicated express services to deliver the pax? But it will never happen. The piecemeal and fudge approach of the entire post-war era will ensure this.

Thanks fairdealfrank, it always surprised me the BHX did not work out financially in the 1990s and by the 2000s I just didn't bother. Next time I'm travelling, I'll have another look but one of the simple problems can be - the cost of a taxi to the station. That might be £7 or £10 each way and that can tip the balance. Obviously, if you have friends/family that can drop you, that falls away.

The other problem that weighs against public transport as opposed to just driving to the airport, is the number of times you have to transfer the cases. If you are going 'light' for a summer break, it's not an issue but when I take my periodic three weeks in South Africa, it's another matter.

Public means: Out of dwelling to taxi (or bus); to station; to train; possible transfer (when I go Watford to LGW via Clapham Junction most of the through trains have been stopped!); then to terminal; then to weighing. I have found on some trips, that my shoulders ache from the frequent transfers of cases on and off platforms/trains/car boots, on and off trolleys, pushing and pulling of trolleys with bad wheels.

I plan to drive to the drop off and leave my lady with the cases on a trolley to go inside and check the lie of the land - whilst I park up. It's a great system! By the time I get back to the terminal, she has guided me in by mobile and off we go.

Even for those of us in middle age, public transport with two 23kg cases and two cabin bags (and duty free at the other end) is not straightforward.