PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham solves Heathrow's capacity problem
Old 7th Jun 2012, 17:33
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "I have lived near the Euston~Brum train line for 25+ years. I can get to Watford Junction for fast trains and the other stops for the slower ones. In the past, I have used it for going to trade shows at the NDC. Also to other points North.

For some years, I used to cross-check the equation:
  • Time to reach terminal
  • Cost to reach terminal (rail, coach, road+park)
  • Cost of flight
  • Return
For these in order of proximity to my dwelling:
LTN; LHR; STN; BHX; LGW.

After three or so years I stopped checking BHX because the cost/time NEVER worked in their favour. I have not checked recently but have no incentive to as it was not good before and I have so many airports to choose from. "

That is very significant, PAXboy, if a fast one-stop rail service to BHX doesn't work for you ex-Watford Junction, it's not going pull in many south east-based pax who have the long additional journey to Watford Junction or London-Euston! Suspect it's also expensive on the WCML.

"By the way, IF there was to be such a thing as close LHR, then BHX might be of more interest as traipsing across to the Estury would be very time consuming - even if there were such a thing as Crossrail going to there from Euston."

Yes, in such a scenario, BHX would be easier than somehere in the estuary, but neither can be described as "convenient" for most. It could drive many pax into the arms of KL ex-their local airport.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 7th Jun 2012 at 17:35.