PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA
Old 6th Jun 2012, 08:59
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "B1/B2 laws" ? Consular officers having no jurisdiction ? Now, now...

When reading the relevant CFR paragraphs, you quickly end up with asking yourself "What is a course of study" - see my post of 6th May.

It is very debatable whether a "finish up" programme where you only need a couple of hours of aircraft/airspace familiarization + maybe 1 or 2 topics in the syllabus that need refreshing is a "course of study".

I've used my B1/B2 with full knowledge of both the consular officer in my country and the immigration officers at the port of entry that I was (going to) enter the US for business or pleasure and was going to receive some flight training, leading to an FAA certificate (I had announced that I was finishing up and going for the check ride).

By contrast, if you are having one week of flight training on an M1, and then visit your relatives for 3 weeks, you might have a problem, because the M1 is supposedly for a "full course of study", which you then are not attending.

What you guys fail to see is the purpose of it all. The immigration status M1 vs B1/B2 distinction is to avoid that foreigners enter the US and enroll in full blown courses (like ab initio to CPL/ME IR) while claiming to be a tourist.

The security threat in relation to flight training by foreigners (aliens) is monitored by the TSA, which is why for most flight training categories towards certain certificates, you need TSA approval, also for 1 or 2 week training stints.

Any school to take you would be stupid to train you with a B1/B2.
Depends on what you mean by "school". A part 61 unit with TSA approval could be precisely what rassy needs, especially if he's just looking for someone assisting him with his long cross country towards his Indian PPL.

And they would be happy with his business.

Last edited by proudprivate; 6th Jun 2012 at 09:00.