PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans ID card
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2012, 08:31
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I've posted a similar message in a related thread but let's not confused by a discount offered to SP or ex SP at Disneyworld or access to the Commissary with the hard realities of 'vets' in the US. VA hospitals are a necessity because of the lack of a comprehensive and free public health care system. Walter Read Hospital is good - but not without many problems (if I wasn't on my phone I'd put in links to some of the issues).

Vets are having great difficulties in seeking stable employment. Not only is the economy still weak (but, granted, gradually improving) but employers are increasingly viewing SP as 'damaged goods'. I have worked with the US forces a lot over the years and I know a number of guys (Maj - Col/Capt) who are struggling to get decent jobs. The level of 'transition assistance' compared with our resettlement is much lower and is lodged increasingly with the third sector. Furthermore, the massive down-sizing of thje Services will exacerbate the problem.

On a more prosaic level, yesterday I booked overnight ferry crossings and found it was much cheaper to book each leg separately. The inward leg (to UK) was much much cheaper to book using a German website; I went via the Forces Discount website, and even with 10% discount it was about £100 more. We're returning back to Europe at peak time and booked that leg via a price comparator site and save over £150 compared with the company, and got a cabin upgrade. Bottom line - shop around!