PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans ID card
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2012, 23:07
LFFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To what end?
To me, the biggest issue is to ensure that veterans suffering health problems get the treatment that they need! I'm particularly thinking about those that suffer mental health problems years after they have left the Armed Forces, but as a direct result of their service.

One of the main obstacles that often stands in the way of veterans quickly getting help is that they have little evidence to prove that they were ever in the forces. So in my view, issuing a veterans' ID card is an essential part of a Military Covenant. That fact was recognised several years ago.

MoD Announcement on the issue of Veteran's ID Cards - April 2009

It is thought that under the proposed plans more than four million former members of the Armed Forces could benefit from preferential treatment on the NHS and, where necessary, access to council housing. These were some of the recommendations made by a Conservative Commission in 2008 where it was considered that greater efforts should be made to rebuild the Military Covenant, an unwritten pact whereby serving and retired members of the Armed Forces receive special treatment in recognition of the sacrifices they have made.
Veterans win fight for 'smart ID cards' - 30 Mar 2009

Four million former servicemen and women are to be given veterans' cards to ensure they get priority treatment for NHS healthcare and housing, and discounts for services such as transport.

The Ministry of Defence plans to introduce the cards at the beginning of 2010, The Independent has learnt, in an attempt to begin repairing the damage done to the military covenant between nation and armed forces under New Labour.

Last edited by LFFC; 1st Jun 2012 at 23:24. Reason: Just noticed that the first link has been deleted. Sorry, but I copied it from a previous post from a while back.