PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sooo, You Want to Fly for Korean Airlines Do You?
Old 1st Jun 2012, 02:25
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
breaking his arm...

while injuring his arm patting himself on the back
Keylime

reminds me...

true story, of how the system debases the process...

B744F crew arrive at ANC, to fly to ICN. New "Cruise Capt" FO has joined crew. The crew brief and proceed to the aircraft, and the new guy sits in the RHS for the departure. the Ferringhi Capt offers the sector to the new guy, who politely refuses, as his left arm is actually broken. I kid you not. His LH arm is in a cast. Capt thinks about this for a short time, and decides for the well being of all parties that they will fly the sector as a 2 pilot crew, and put the poor Cruiser into the bunk.

Every one is happy.

Not so nice:

B777 newbie from Turkey does his final sector of the checkout. Fails. "Bad Capt, bad landing, cannot fly/land etc... last landing dangerous, bad technique...". Sage nodding of heads of DLCP, KCASA guy, and FO. The poor old Johnny turk finally enquires that they are referring to the last landing? "yes, dangerous, bad technique, no good etc...", "are you referring to the auto land we just did 1/2 an hour ago?..."

10/10 candidates failed selection for a simple common factor, in the screening simulator.... "didn't know Korean procedures..."

A welcoming program. For those that decide not to go there, well saved, sir. For those that go and walk, congratulations, for those that stay, you have my respect for your fortitude.