PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sooo, You Want to Fly for Korean Airlines Do You?
Old 1st Jun 2012, 01:26
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
USA!... USA!

haenjangkuk
That is why a expat is required to flights to the USA. With you'r thinking you will never advance
Free at Last

errr, not quite correct. There is not and never has been a requirement for a Foreigner/Weikukin to be on the crew list for any operation to any destination. There is no insurance aspect that requires a particular crew makeup. Not saying that it wouldn't be an advisable thing for the underwriter... just that it is factually false.

Delta Audit...? hmmm, entertaining reading, but the audit was not done by Dealta per se, it was done by experienced but unqualified auditors, and that is reflected in the quality of the document. The program there is actually far more dysfunctional than is noted on these pages, and Hanjuk's comments are pretty much in line with the delusional nature of the program in general. Human factors are a primary aspect of all incidents and most damage caused there, yet while there is a cookie cutter HF/CRM program in place, no party from the operators to the management apply such mechanisms.

The engineers are generally world leaders, I have more respect for them in general than most professionals in this industry. Having said that, occasions arise where they do get somewhat "excited", and that may have bent he case here. They are operating under the same punitive, viscious, nasty, rude, "false witnessing" environment that the foreigners lament about, and that Hanjuk is an apologist for.

My favourite story related to the abusive program there was the day when...

Argus goes to the office on monday morning, and is confronted about a flight he did on the sunday on an A300-605R, from SEL-PUS-SEL-PUS-SEL... He is told by the chief pilot of the fleet that he of all people should not have done what he had done, that it is shameful that his flying is so bad... etc etc, Argus approaches me and asks if I will look t the data of his flight. I do. Perfectly stable, elegant flight. Chief pilot has in the meantime as is usually the case, asked the FO why he didn't demand a go around for such a "bad approach", to which he answers that he had demanded many times that the foreign devil go around, to no avail, foreigners don't listen etc.. (actually I do, and I speak korean....) Subsequently, the chief pilot is asked my me if he would like to check the date of the event... (local vs GMT...) and he then realises he is after the pilot of the same flight number, for the preceding day, not Argus. Fine. except, what about the FO's comment about screaming at the foreign devil who ignored his plaintive wailing, teeth gnashing and renting of cloth, and "continued to land despite the warning that the approach was unstable, horrible, incompetent... usual foreign pilot bad skills etc"? Nothing.

All parties in that dysfunctional program have a jackboot placed at varying levels of force on the back of their necks, including Hanjuk & Co. The good news is, the foreigner can retire and go somewhere else, that does not have that corrosive situation, Hanjuk, and the rest of his gang are married to the program. I have many HanKukIn friends, really good people, some are even ex F-5 Majors, the most dangerous thing in the air, normally. Best local friends were engineers. Erratic behaviour is hardly a surprise in a program that is doing 110% in day VFR conditions due to the interminable threat from above.

Caveat Emptor