PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 31st May 2012, 13:34
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By George:

"On the 747 you can at least see your wingtips".

I never flew the 747 but I spent a lot of time on the DC-10. On the DC10-10 it was impossible to see the wingtips. On the DC-10-30 it was just, and only just, possible to see the wingtips. Even then, I would defy even the most experienced pilot to be able to judge within 10-15 feet or so exactly where their wingtip was on a DC-10 (nowadays I have enough trouble with a PA-28).

Does anyone else out there remember the inflatable rubber satellite terminal at LAX? It was as tight as a badger's ar*e. I often had kittens taxiing in there for the only guidance was to hope that the nosewheel was exactly on the centreline and that everything else was in exactly the correct place.

"Target over the equipment line"

I agree totally with you on this point. Taxiing a widebody is hard enough but the equipment line is one of your major safeguards. Anything over that line, stop and put the park brake on.

Finally, do we know for certain that the ERJ was not actually pushed back in front of the 747?

No, I didn't think so.

I've had that happen to me at Kennedy more times than I care to remember.

Last edited by JW411; 31st May 2012 at 13:36.