PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal crash pilot should not have flown: coroner
Old 21st Dec 2002, 20:08
Square Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Push it real good,

You make a lot of generalisations regarding this subject and in the most thats all it seems to be. You attack Police Aviation on the basis of an Operation in 1 State out of the 6 States/2 Territorys of Australia.

Just a few points (out of the many) that I consider not quite correct (from my acknowldeged 2nd hand information) and like to comment on.

Now put yourself in that position, walking the beat means being relieved of flying duties but keep the money or give up the money and try to get a position in GA to keep flying..... I guess no rocking the boat sounds pretty good.
That may very well be the case in W.A. but check your facts regarding the other States and Territories. N.T. & QLD are two operations crewed by, to use your words " professional civillian air crews", and its my understanding from knowing some of these guys are that they are very high time experienced "civillian" pilots flying prety sophisticated equipment.

It is also my understanding that Vic and and NSW also do most, if not all, their recruiting outside the Police Service.

I have no doubt the Chief Pilot, Op's manager and Operators would be facing criminal charges for negligence and in any event CASA would have closed them down.
On what do you base this? There have been many deaths in general aviation where this has not been the case. One recent example being the smash north of Cairns a few years ago. The Senior Base Pilot of the largest Shrike operator in Australia killed himself and 3/4? passengers by hitting a mountain flying under Visual Flight Rules, whilst in CLOUD, some 2400 feet below LSAT. That company wasn't closed down, didn't face criminal charges etc.

The Coroner forgot to add the Police should; Get proffessional, Get Turbines, Get Training, Get a Budget, Get out of aviation and Get Civillians.
Why should Police get out of operating Aviation on the basis of this crash. A well run, budgeted, equiped and trained Police Air Unit would be no different from a well run Gereral Aviation Company with the added bonus of not having to worry about profits, with probably a more stable and long serving crew with job specific training. Very similiar I would imagine to the Air Ambulance and RFDS type set up.

The one thing that I do agree with with you, however, is that pilot recruitment should be from outside the Police Service which would allow a much greater experience base to select from.

Finally I must ask....whats the barrow do you push, you appear to have some agenda about all this.

Last edited by Square Bear; 24th Dec 2002 at 11:12.