PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane landings England legal?
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 18:03
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it was only 1993 when Kermit Weeks splashed down and took off from the Thames by Tower Bridge in his Shorts Sunderland, so it's not that long ago. As far as I know, this is the last time any flying boats or float planes took off that close to London. Kermit bought the Sunderland from millionaire Edward Hulton and it later did a successful ferry flight to his facility in Florida, where it still is today. No easy feat logistically ferrying an old avgas flying boat with no gear.

Last remaining Sunderland before her ferry to Florida.

In the late 50's, Piaggio's demo, I-GULL, tried to drum up some sales for the amphib pusher P136 - also known as the Royal Gull in the USA - by touring the UK. None were sold, but it did sell well in the US and the Mediterranean. In fact, Onassis had two of them and one of his sons unfortunately crashed and killed himself in one. Lovely flying boats that I'm personally very fond of and know quite a lot about. Long nurtured a burning desire to own one, but they're hard to come by..

In these photos of I-GULL one can clearly see the Gull water taxiing in the Thames.

By the Tower of London.

Taxiing past Tower Bridge.

For those who are intrigued by the P136 Royal Gull, please have a look at the video I took of this bird when I visited Gull-guru John Mohr in Minnesota last year - the only video I've managed to find on this rare airplane. John Mohr is a Delta captain with over 38.000hrs and does airshows on the side. He flies his P136 all over the place - it's been to Europe, Caribbean, Greenland, South America - it flies constantly. John is a great guy and in this clip you'll be able to see what a great performance this old amphib has. It'll get in and out of lakes the size of stamps and can handle really rough water.

Shame they don't build these today. Be a sweet little utility plane.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 27th May 2012 at 18:06.