PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 16:57
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Ray - some of the guys who provide your training are ex-RAF colleagues of mine

4th right
A good list of RAF training activities there Crab. but what makes you think something similar cannot and will not be delivered as part of the new contract?
cost! The new SAR service may well be like a Citroen - built down to a price rather than up to a standard. Who will police its standards and levels of training, currency and competency? The CAA? with all their expert knowledge of SAR?

I don't think there will be a significant influx of mil pilots into the new contract unless it is specified somewhere (like the last one was). I expect big civilian companies like Bond and Bristow will recruit internally first and everyone who has ever done a SAR tour in the past will throw their hats into the ring. Inevitably priority will be given to those with seniority in the company rather than ex-mil people with current and relevant experience - I guess it all comes down to what is specified in the contract.

Spanish - all military aircraft with a winch??? you are having a laugh! Our SH bretheren have more than enough kit to worry about needing to be serviceable and the winch will be the first thing that gets red lined in the F700. We also get to see how poor winching can be when people don't practise on a regular basis.