PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus pilots are dangerous
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 09:59
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liking your response Dr.

Having a fair amount of time on C-150's and blaniks, I do agree. Though I never really regarded the blanik as being an agressive spinner, more that it settled into the spin more readily than some other types I have flown.

Whilst to a degree I advocate spin training, I advocate recognition of an impending spin even more. I am not aware (and am open to suggestions) of any type that does not give a warning signal for the impending stall/spin. This is something glider pilots practice heavily. When a glider pilot progresses into a new type, one of the first things on their list is a couple of full spins to get the recovery down pat, then there is a lot of time incipient spinning to learn the warning signs. The LAST place they want to be learning this is in a thermal with 10 gliders below. They want to know it so intensely, that when they do enter a point where the spin is imminent, they merely release some back pressure, or a little rudder, with no disruption to the flight path, nor reference to the flight instruments. They practice until the required input is automatic.

Look at the difference in attitude. A glider pilot spins EVERY type they fly, a power pilot is on the cusp of fearing spins!.

Old akro,
some types the spin entry can be quite violent. One that comes to mind is the Pilatus PC-11-AF. Like the PA-38, it rolls onto its back first, but it does it in a manner more akin to a flick roll, it pauses for up to 1 second, then flicks again into a fully developed spin before the end of the first rotation after the inverted stage. (this scenario for the traditional turning final gentle control input style of entry)
If you push it into a spin, it behaves differently. I.e the control inputs are there forcing the spin, Full rudder to begin with. With a forced spin, it will rotate straight into a fully developed spin quite aggressively. (whole lot of fun lemme tell ya!) But the type is benign enough to recover the moment you take corrective action

As I said above, i am not sure full spin training is appropriate, but certiainly incipient training, so the that the pilot has some understanding of what indicators to be looking for and take remedial action the moment the airframe gives its warning.