PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 14:37
jungliebeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab@

We have all sat in the crew room and bitched and moaned about the other services. However, I would hope that this bluster also belies a mutual respect and understanding that we are all professional aircrew who are fundamentally good at what we do ... To say that your way is the best and to automatically discount all other ways of skinning the cat is blinkered to say the least.

The main savings from military SAR will not be from training but from all the other areas where operating the Sea King on a Military Release demand a high number of personnel and maintenance hours, vice operating a modern aircraft. The S92 can maintain availability rates far in excess of the ageing King with 3 engineers on shift. Daily training rates do not differ from the military with an allowance of 4 hrs per day. I believe that the MCA crews would take task with your inference that they are only able to carry out effective SAR in the 80% of routine missions!!

The big piece for the future that has been rightly identified is the transition to NVG - again there are ex military experienced NVG operators already working on the solution ...

I'm not saying that there are not hurdles ahead but to completely put your head in the sand and say that it can't be done as effectively and safely (but maybe differently) to RN or RAF SAR is simply wrong ... the people that will make this work will be experienced civilian, ex RN and RAF crews.

I fully understand that those of you that have been involved in RAF SAR for your whole military career regard it as a primary mission - but again you need to look outside of your own world to see that the resource scarce services must prioritise ... rightly for capabilities that support a combat. Unfortunate for military SAR but thats the bottom line...