PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus pilots are dangerous
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 13:42
QFF

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider this:

Chance of surviving an inadvertent spin from 2000ft with conventional recovery - say, 50%

Chance of surviving same scenario by pulling the chute - 100%.

I know which I'd choose, aircraft damage notwithstanding.

Even from an engine failure at altitude, why would you accept a 80-90% survival rate with a glide approach into a paddock when pulling the chute guarantees a 100% survival rate every time?

But the recent fatal Cirrus accidents have been base to final turn stall/spin accidents at low level with no chance of conventional or even parachute recovery. Unfortunately it's not the aircraft - it's the pilots.

There is a whole new generation of Cirrus pilots who are buying second-hand aircraft who have not had the factory training and are not aware of the excellent Cirrus Pilots' Proficiency Programme training with CSIPs (Cirrus Standardized Instructor Pilots), run by the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association (or COPA).

I would highly recommend everyone who flies a Cirrus join COPA (it's only $65 annual fee) and attend at least one CPPP which has been happening in Australia for the past 2 years.

Flying the Cirrus means adopting a whole new paradigm shift in thinking about emergencies. Gone are the days of the macho-pilot ego, wrestling the plane to the ground in the event of an engine failure, hoping they're not the 20% who dig a wheel into a furrow in the paddock, cartwheel and ending up as a statistic. Much better to pull the chute, walk away and let the insurance company sort out the mess.

An insurance company executive in the USA has gone on the record saying that he would much rather pilots pull the chute because it's much cheaper to repair/replace aircraft than to deal with the pilot's/passengers' estate.

Some food for thought...