PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Hawks and PC 21s for Saudi
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2012, 17:09
5 Forward 6 Back

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I'm still "in;" but maybe I should send some of those studies to Ascent if they're recruiting...!

The CT idea actually saves money in hours and training, but costs more in up-front capital, which is why it's a shame it'll never happen. I worry that the current system is breeding dangers. Right now, a guy gets 60hrs in the Tutor, 120 in the Tucano, and then goes straight to the T2 now that 208's winding down? That must be about an 80hr course I'd guess, remembering my own FJ TW with a bit of conversion thrown in.

Then he goes to 29(R), where there are experiments with mostly-synthetic OCU courses; are they becoming the norm? People graduating and heading to the front line with 5 live sorties, basically a famil, first solo, and end-of-phase checks? Then he settles into 10-15hrs a month. Give him a M346 CT and you're mitigating a lot of risks there.

It'd be easily possible with a small jet as the basic trainer, but given the costs involve I should imagine we'll see a new cockpit and a few upgrades in the Tucano. Hopefully it's enough to teach things like proper tactical formation, but I can't see it fulfilling all the traditional "phase III" training. If it takes some strain off the T2 though, I'm sure we'll still manage.