PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 24th May 2012, 00:52
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the videos Roger . .brings back some fond memories of flying at YMMB. I soloed there many years ago using runway 17L in a C152 after about 14 hours. From the videos, I say you're not far off from being sent solo. The approach appears stable and the flare height, from what I can see from the video appears about right. The fact that you're getting the stall warning horn just before touch would suggest that your speed is ok as well. By the way, what's that beeping noise on short final? Autopilot disengage perhaps? hahaha

As for keeping on the centerline, yes, you will need to use rudder for directional control. I do all my flying in the right seat these days so my technique would mirror yours on the left, but basically, what I do is to 'step' on the centreline with the inside of my right foot using the centreline as a reference point. I try to 'feel' the centreline run up the inside of my foot, all the way in to my groin during the approach. So for you, sitting on the left, you would do this with the inside of your left foot. If you have this reference point to aim for, for centreline guidance from early final, it will make it much easier to end up on the centreline at short final and during the flare.

This is just a suggestion which you can take or leave, but I have been a flight instructor before with about 900 hours instructional time and this is the technique I teach to my students who have trouble maintaining runway centreline.

All the best with your training, and when you do solo, please upload the video of your celebrations. I'm not sure what the tradition is for your flight school for solo celebrations .. some places throw a bucket of cold water over you, so watch out ...