PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 24th May 2012, 00:43
roger_hujin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a look at your rate of descent on final is a secondary way of assessing your profile, i.e 5 times ground speed equals 3deg or 5% profile. Convenient especially at night when its always reassuring to be extra sure of perspective and profile because of obstacle clearance considerations.

Coming up to your first solo i wouldn't worry about that stuff. Yes power controls airspeed and use attitude to maintain your aiming point at a fixed position in your windshield hence maintaining profile.
What is important is that you coordinate the two i.e your attitude and your power, and understand the secondary effects of both. Left hand forward, lower the nose, airspeed increases, reduce power and vice versa.

It is that coordination that is important coupled with your rudder / aileron work to control the centre line which is the essential element of a stable approach.

If your approach is stable in terms of centreline, airspeed and profile, the flare should be easy, just reduce the power to iddle over the threshold and progressively gently apply backpressure to a straight and level attitude until the main wheels touch the ground.

Crosswind techniques are add on skills that come later.

I suggest you start listening to your instructor instead of going on here and ask every expert for his opinion.
Hi blacklabel,

Thank you for the comments, but I am afraid that is not what I am asking here. What you said are absolutely correct, they are exact what is printed on the text book and I have read them hundreds of time and completely understand it (believe me, I am a chinese and very good on reading textbooks), but it is not the answer I am seeking here.

What I am asking here is about how to do it, not what to do. I knew what to do but flying is a technique which can only be mastered by practising. So I posted the video and hope the experts here can point out what I did correct and what I did wrong so I can keep on the good one and fix the bad ones. I also asked questions which has not been talked about on the text book like if I am a couple of meters left to the center line and just about to flare, what should I do.

I got heaps of good advices from these guys, some tips like holding stick with three fingers etc, they are all small things, but they are the ones which will help me to achieve what is described on text book and I think that is the reason why we cannot learn fly just by reading the book.

Also, I would like say I have been listening to my instructor very carefully since I started my training, otherwise, I might not get this far. However I do not see it will do any harm to ask more advices here from those experts about their opinion, they give me a different perspective and with their experience they might be able to point out the problem both myself and my instructor not noticed.

Cheers,
Roger