PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:00
roger_hujin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Aimpoint!

I found a lot of students were scared of using too much aileron to counteract drift because they thought they were going to strike a wing against the runway - this is highly unlikely.
Yes, this is also my concern on using aileron at the flare time, it seems that much of control input will make the wing drop too much. I think I can try it next time.

Why do you turn base at a different point each time? Is it because you have traffic in front of you, or because you're not keeping the runway in sight (or don't know when to turn base using visual cues)? Yes, if the circuit is wide you should descend on base at a lower rate of descent to avoid being too low on final.
Sorry Aimpoint, I think what I mentioned is I fly base leg differently, not turning to base differently. I always turn base at the same location, sometimes goes a bit wider due to traffic to follow, but I think my skills on managing the descend rate on base is still not accurate enough, so sometimes I turn final at 600ft, sometimes at 700ft, sometimes 550ft which makes the starting point of final at different height, thus the different approach profile. I think I need to work on how to fly base leg better at different conditions.

Some approaches appeared to be around 75kts over the threshold. If you are fast, the hold-off is going to take much longer and you will land too far down the runway. This is a major item that must be fixed before anyone will send you solo.
yes, totally agree with you. This is a major issue and it must be fixed. In fact, I have paid much attention to the airspeed on final in the the circuits I flew that day after these three and tried to control the speed on final at 65kts and 60kts on threshold. Make a couple of pretty good landings too. I will keep working on it and make it consistent.

No. The approach is 'flat' when you are too low on final i.e. the approach angle is very small, therefore 'flatter' than a steeper approach. This can be completely independent of speed.
This is where I got a bit confused. I know the flatter or steeper has nothing to do with the speed. I think I kind get a little bit of what it means now. I knew there is an opinion that "glides approaches should be the way to land" instead of this flatter powered approach? If I did not misunderstand what it is, as you said Aimpoint, I believe that is just different techniques, like I heard about in US they taught in that "gliding approach" way all the time. It sounds that this debate has been going on many times in the forum, so no any intention to start it again.