PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:43
roger_hujin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Aimpoint,

Thank you so much for the comments. I knew it is a bit hard to give advice with just a video, but I do appreciate any advice from you.

I think your observation is very accurate.

- I am aware that I was too fast on final. It is around 75-80kts and reduced to 60-65 at the threshold. There were a couple of circuts after these three and I paid more attention to the airspeed on final and it was getting better. I will keep working on it next time.

- The approach profile inconsistency is also correct. I think it is because I fly base leg differently every time, so the height at the point I turn final is different, sometimes I turn a bit early, sometimes late. I think I should descend slower if the circuit is wide?

- flaring too high, I am not really sure about this one. It seems sometimes I can do it okay, I think the first landing in the video might be fine? but the second one is definitely a bit high, so I have a bit 'heavy' landing at the end.

- I did try to trim better and fly 'hands off', but definitely need more practise on it.

- the aileron to control drift off and rudder to straighten nose, if this is the answer to my question in last post, my understanding is, if I am a couple of meters left to the center line just before flare, I should strenghten the nose and use a bit right aileron to get aircraft drifting to the center line, do I understand it right?

With all the posts and advices in this thread, I am not really worry about the solo moment now. I just want to get myself ready and get those problems fixed, which can make me really be prepared for the solo.

I will take your advice and integrated with what I learned from my instructor and come to my own plan to improve, so not taking anything blindly. Thanks for the caring.