PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:59
Aimpoint

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Roger,

Very difficult to comment because we are not in the aircraft. However, my observations are:

- seem to be too fast on late final. Been a while since I've flown 172s, but looks like you're around 75-80kts on mid final when you should be closer to 65-70. Depends on what your school teaches though. Power should be controlling airspeed, need to start slowing a little sooner.
- approach profile is inconsistent. Sometimes you look very high, sometimes low.
- flaring too high
- I think you're trimming but a bit hard too see from the angle. Trim so you can take your hands off the controls and it will keep flying to the aim point (dont literally take your hands off the controls).
- use aileron to control drift off centerline, and rudder to straighten the nose. As discussed in another post, if you keep looking ahead during the hold off you will be able to control the landing well. Get yourself on centreline early on final.

I'm not sure how much direction your instructor is giving, or what your situational awareness is like, use of checklists etc. - this could be holding you back too. The instructor needs to see consistent circuits without any direction before you go solo.

Be careful using my advice or anyone else on pprune because we are not in the plane with you, nor have we been during the prior lessons. Use our suggestions in conjunction with what your school tells you.

I don't think you are very far off solo if you can sort out the above items.