PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:04
ranmar850

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As others have said, don't do it before YOU feel you are ready. I was offered solo by my instructor, IIRC, 8.2 hrs. Relatively quiet aerodrome, but with lots of strong wind--Geraldton, Mid-West WA, late spring /summer. C172P. Turned her down, then went, also IIRC as my log book is not handy, over 10 hours, until the weather settled, I certainly didn't want to do it in 25-30kts SSE with a crosswind factor of around 30 degrees.
When I did, it was all go from then on. Great feeling. But there is also the factor of actual traffic. Geraldton wasn't bad, some RPT (F-50's and Dash-8's) RFDS, regular charter, private. Not common to be in the circuit with more than one other aircraft. Then I did my first dual cross-country nav, to Jandakot , while it was still doing all the training, no-one at Merriden.
Fark me, is that a circuit or a dogfight? I was coming in from the SE, into a setting sun--I remember getting instruction to join downwind from overhead, and couldn't actually see a gap.My instructor grabbed the yoke, and neatly slotted me in , and I took it from there. Adds a whole new dimension to training, actually having to share airspace.