PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 00:28
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "I don't buy this everything needs to be at Lhr thing. Yes that is probably first option for most airlines, including ones that really don't need to be at Lhr."

Which airlines don't really need to be there, True Blue?

Would say it's the other way around. Many small UK carriers need to be there but are excluded because of high airport charges for small aircraft and prohibitive slot costs.

Quote: "I am working on the basis that Lgw wins out over Stn."

Definitely, STN is not even on the horizon!

Quote: "After the takeover of BMi by BA, there will be no further big redistribution of slots at Lhr again, short of a 3rd runway. So whilst airlines might want to go to Lhr, they will not be able to as there is no room, something we all agree on."

Tragic isn't it! There will be the usual leasing and sub-leasing of slots or rejigging within alliances, etc..

Quote: "TrueBlue - I very much doubt Gatwick will become as successful as Heathrow, because of what is know as the 'network effect'. Virtually every airline at Heathrow will accept connecting passengers from a sizeable proportion of other airlines."

Also known as the "honeypot"!

Quote: "The largest carrier at Gatwick, namely Easyjet, along with a number of other Gatwick based airlines, does not accept connecting passengers, and thus the benefit of the wide range of desitinations in the network is significantly diminished.

Until the acceptance of connecting passengers at Gatwick increases significantly, it will remain an O&D airport, instead of a hub like Heathrow"

Exactly, davidjohnson6, that is the point! You've summarised it nicely!

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 21st May 2012 at 00:30.