PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 23:14
True Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't buy this everything needs to be at Lhr thing. Yes that is probably first option for most airlines, including ones that really don't need to be at Lhr. But Lhr is full and will not have room for many years, if ever. So airlines now have 2 options mainly, don't bother or go to Lgw. I am working on the basis that Lgw wins out over Stn. After the takeover of BMi by BA, there will be no further big redistribution of slots at Lhr again, short of a 3rd runway. So whilst airlines might want to go to Lhr, they will not be able to as there is no room, something we all agree on. They are now being forced to use Lgw in a way they have never been before, and as more start to use Lgw, so it will change. I find it hard to believe that many airlines, if they cannot use Lhr, will turn down the chance to serve London because they can only get into Lgw. Lgw now has the chance to create a snowball effect, as more new carriers come to Lgw it will be easier to sell to other new carriers.

With a second runway meaning the only growth option for airlines in London, Lgw could become as successful as Lhr in many respects.

TB