PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more GR4 WSOs?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 19:55
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Quote:
they can probably get another SM in the back
Wouldn't be the first time...several new F3 pilots found themselves in the back seat for a short period circa 2000-1.
Seemed like a good idea but RADAR manipulation/handling/interpretation is a skill in itself - just like the Navs that crossed over to Pilot found out that "poling" also needed a full course to get the hang of! Equally, RHWR and ECM handling is also an art. "Horses for courses" comes to mind - you don't use a cart horse to run the Grand National, and you don't use a Hunter to pull a brewery cart - I'll leave you to decide which is what!

We tried using Fighter Controllers in the boot of an F3 and quite frankly they could do some of the tasks very well but lacked airmindedness and airmanship. We tried using AEOs and AEOps in the boot of Tornados various, but they were trained for larger ISTAR types and lacked the low/medium/high level Nav skills. In my opinion, Navs aren't precious or skilled more than other branch (they might be cleverer!!), but you can train anyone to do anything; but can't assume that training for another role (ie. Pilot) will make them good for something else (ie. WSO Nav).

Just my opinion after seeing this tried a few times over my 22 years...

LJ

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 17th May 2012 at 19:56.