PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Turbo Arrow IV .. Am I nuts??
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 08:46
maehhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh gosh...

Nothing wrong with the location of the trim wheel. That may imply that you did not sit in the cockpit and familiarise yourself with the location of switches/controls prior to flying a new type.
Of course I did familiarise myself with the cockpit and I don't get your point. I didn't say that I couldn't find the trim wheel, I said it is IMHO in an unhandy position. That was my impression on the first flight and it still is now after some more. That may be highly subjective but doesn't change a thing...

Maehhh - did you check yourself out on type or did an instructor?
An instructor of course. And yes of course my instructor briefed me on the T-tail. However talking about it and actually feeling/handling it for the first time can be two different stories.

I do hope you are in the habit of visually checking settings, not just moving a switch to a detent.
Again I don't see your point. How do manual flaps save u from visual checks? Maybe I'm spoiled here but I simply consider it inconvenient. Not a big deal tho' ... I would agree on that.

Is it because you think the handbrake style lever doesn't look cool when your taking chicks up? You want to feel more of a jet jock?
Seriously?

So you didn't trim it correctly for take-off, and it's very reluctant to stall.
Trim was on take-off setting and CoG was in the envelop.
Just to make that clear: I did not say the Arrow was or felt close to a stall, I said the same amount of force on the elevator of a Cessna would stall it...!

Don't get me wrong guys I wrote this based on my thoughts after my first experience on that Arrow IV. Till that day there were only Cessnas and TBs in my logbook and IMHO especially when coming from a Cessna a T-tail Arrow IV is just a complete different story in almost every aspect... Now after some more time we are both going along quite well and as I said in the end I would even consider it a nice SEP to own one day despite those little quirks...

cheers
maehhh