PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 20:06
boguing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking what FAR 121 actually says:-

"(d) A certificate holder may continue to operate under this section without a program as required in paragraph (c) of this section, if it includes in its operations specifications a requirement that, any time conditions are such that frost, ice, or snow may reasonably be expected to adhere to the aircraft, no aircraft will take off unless..."

Then if conditions are such that frost, ice, or snow may reasonably expected NOT to adhere.. then it does NOT apply.

So in properly cold countries, some of which have an almost infinite number of words for different types of snow, it is possible that a pilot with that knowledge might know that it was dry snow and not thick enough for the weight to cause melting on a very cold wing/tail. And that a couple of sweeps with a soft broom confirmed that he was correct.

I live in balmy Surrey and even I can tell which snow I need to clear from my bonnet, and that which I know will have blown off by the end of the lane.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have been raising hell in the cabin on that flight, but that FAR 121 does offer a get out clause.