PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JET DOWNSIZING??
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 02:40
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A chap on TMU received a letter of termination the other day. Not a nice way to be terminated.... especially when set to return to BLR IAM. Start updating to CVs boys and girls.

During a conversation with a national pilot, a friend of mine, also an expat, put the purpose of the “EXPAT” in its proper perspective. We are not here to take jobs away from anyone. Your airline is in the business of making money. In accordance with both the DGCA and company management, qualified crews are required to operate the equipment. While there may be a plethora of first officers, there is a shortage of qualified commanders. As F/Os attain their command, the need for expats will diminish. I thought this explanation regarding the purpose of Expats was very mature, factual, eloquent and non-debatable.

Jet, along with other private Indian carriers are feeling the financial pinch from both the DGCA and Central Government. They want to see the private carriers disappear.

With the exchange rate between the Rupee and USD is in such a state, the cost for expats has increased by some 21% over the past two years.

In order to counter the increased cost of expat crews, some carriers have resorted to hiring retiring Indian Air Force pilots for DEC positions in the ATR, B737 and Q-400.

At the end of the day expats need to realize the days of being indispensible are over in parts of Asia. Your next flight with your foreign carrier carrier may be your very last one at that. That's the reality check I've lived with for the past 22 years of being an expat. The decisions made by management is strictly business… and not personal. That's another bit of reality check I've reminded myself about too.

On the flip side of the coin, how many expats, are not constantly looking for better opportunities, QOL, pay, or whatever, elsewhere??? even if life is okay where they are?

Last edited by captjns; 14th May 2012 at 04:24.