PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 14th May 2012, 00:30
roger_hujin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems impossible for me to reply to each individual posts in past a few days, I never expected so many replies. I do thank everyone who has given me advices and the ones who joined this interesting pi55ing contest.

My purpose is not to really ask how many hours, I knew it varies, what I want to find is if there is a generally reasonable range which can confirm I am on track. If I do fall out of the range, that might indicate there is something wrong about this and I need to find out and fix it instead of just keeping doing it and wait. From your replies, it seems I am not far from the track though a little bit slower than normal. I do accept that and believe I probably still need a bit more practice from the click moment.

However, apart from the contest side of things and some arguments along the thread, I did learn two important points I need to improve:

1. Holding the stick with just three fingers, relax and trim more.
2. Look far to the end of the runway when flare.

I exercised these two thing last Saturday while having some up to 10kts crosswind circuits, I think it did help me, the flare is getting better and less over controls, even have a couple of pretty good landing too. So thanks to everyone.

Now need to work on a new issue, I still have quite poor directional control on landing and flare. The problem basically is I cannot line up aircraft with the runway centre line. I might be a bit to the left while flying parallel to the runway, but when I try to fix it by turning right to the centre line, most of the time it will cross it and off to the other side.