PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The C27's are a coming
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2012, 12:22
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC9 to Big Jet.

FHLL, I have no idea what the current RAAF situation is, I can only draw on my RAAF experience on the C130 & B707 fleets in regard to the RAAF system. I well recall any number of graduates from 2FTS being posted into 36 Sqn and spending much of their tour in the RH seat. Most, as I recall, made command during that tour and, most if not all, were good Captains. I have no doubt that the environment within the C130 especially was one where co-pilots were in the company of a considerable amount of experience on most operations. I think they learned CRM although the term was never mentioned, maybe not yet invented in my RAAF days, with a crew compliment of three Commissioned Officers and two SNCO's at least. The B707 was different in that, especially in the initial days, all crew members were highly experienced. The initial six pilots comprised five former C130 Captains (two of whom had also had KC135 exhange postings), one P3 Captain and three C130 F/E's and we were all trained by Qantas to their standard of operation. Our first 3 LM's all came from the C130's. Given the 54 years of C130 operations, most if not all under the system as I knew it, and the record of never having lost a C130 speaks for itself in terms of the effectiveness of the RAAF system, I think. I am sure improvements can be made, as they always can.