PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The C27's are a coming
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2012, 09:47
FlareHighLandLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old fella,

I was not trying to prepare an irrefutable argument for a court of law. As a general rule, king air pilots would typically start with lots of time, the exact figure or the occasional exception is not important to the point I am making.

In the civil environment junior pilots generally do long apprenticeships before they would get near any of the alg or srg types, even as cojo. Because it is generally single pilot, the king air requirements would typically be higher than the rest. Therefore the development of training packages has been difficult, and I would argue they still don't provide the captaincy and decision making development the guys need.

The civvies have reduced the time train candidates, but only by focussing all the training on the automation and crew interaction. I still believe the boggies need all those basic hands and feet stuff they get at 2 fts, but there has to be a very strong case to provide accelerated me/mc development. Given how heavily the civvies are using simulation we are way behind. I spoke to a Cathay SO recently who told me he is sent to the sim constantly, way more than the minimum, simply for his development.

I ack the points about the raaf's attitude that it's ok to send pc9 pilots to big jets, and that it must be possible for them to develop in time without the extra resources. Winded what it will take to change this perception?