PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2012, 10:58
BKS Air Transport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas Cook revised and cut back their summer programme from the airport quite significantly this year compared to what was originally on offer. Given their need to get their business back on track, I would think that a one aircraft base is probably not an efficient use of their resources, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this go. It may not mean that they will leave altogether. They could be looking at W patterns from elsewhere, or they may be in negotiations with somebody else about sharing an aircraft. Monarch have given a pretty strong hint that they will be announcing some summer routes from Leeds in the next few weeks. Perhaps connected? Or they could be waiting to see if Thomas Cook do pull out, so they could move in and do some cherry picking. Regardless, we have to realise that traditional IT operations are on a slippery slope, and any airport that can hang on to what it has is doing well.
With regards to BA, well done to JP and TH for getting the airport in the frame for this route. BA say themselves that a good feeder network is needed to strengthen their long haul business, and this will be the route's function. Any point to point traffic the route picks up is a bonus. As regards it being a slot warmer, whilst I'm sure the airport management will offer the airline a good deal when it comes to landing fees etc., I think that they will be clever enough to insist on a minimum lifespan for the route to give it chance to prove it's viability. All this talk of 'giving it 12 months' is laughable. If this was the real plan they would simply carry on overkilling the Manchester route. However, the route will go sooner or later if it is not used, so it will be up to the travellers of the region to support it. It has the potential to significantly enhance connectivity to the region from around the world, and this can only be good for business and leisure.

Last edited by BKS Air Transport; 12th May 2012 at 11:05.