PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how to get out the raf regt after a year and 6 months?
Old 11th May 2012, 20:45
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I know it's a changed airforce from 1978 but I found that just going in every day and saying "that I didn't want to do it any more" was quite successful, even if it did take six months.

Having gone to Swinderby at 16½ and then nearly two years at Valley, a year at Northern and a year at Boulmer, I was still unaware of what civvy life was all about, but I wanted to know.

I had tried going awol for a week in November 1977, but they brought me back; I lived in the guardroom for 5 days, doing odd stuff like accompanying the SDO to raise and lower the flag each day, and answering the phone as "Duty Prisoner"

Then they told me to go back to work and we'd pretend it had never happened. I did try, but my heart wasn't in it.

Next up was Op Burberry and that kept me out of trouble for 6 weeks, but then they wanted to send me back down the mines again.

I went to Wroughton and explained that I had no issue with working in the R3, I just didn't want to be in the airforce any more.

So.... they sent me to Stafford to hold. The only airtrafficker ever posted there in the 70s as far as I know. I had a few months of great fun. Mornings on the 25 yard range, with the Rock Flt Lt who had an eye patch, melting the barrel of an SLR and afternoons playing pool in the bar.

Then I went to Cosford for a month where a very nice old chap, Electronics Instructor Flt. Sgt. tried to entice me to remuster to be a tech.

Eventually, by June 1978 it was decided by PMC that I was never going to see sense, and so they let me go. Up until the last week of my service, they were offering to let bygones be and have me back at work.

It was actually very difficult to get thrown out, mainly as so many good people were trying to save me from myself.

I'd suggest the OP considers how green the civvy grass actually may or may not be, and then take a few days to reflect on just why it is so difficult to join up in the first place.

There are worse things than being a rock for the next six years.

As Airborne Aircrew wrote
Suck it up, make the best of it and learn from it. It will stand you in great stead for the future.