PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 10th May 2012, 22:58
Aimpoint

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Glad the two previous posters backed up my original comments.

Looking only slightly ahead means the pilot cannot see the 'whole' picture during the hold off i.e. drift, yaw, ballooning and sink.

It's not lazy instructing - in fact a technique that's worked for me over the years from sending 10 hour students solo to solving landing issues in heavier aircraft for CAR217 organisations.

Remember, I said "hold-off", not "initial flare". You'll be focusing on the aim point to judge when to start flaring (more like the jumping from a building scenario you gave), then moving your vision upwards as you commence and maintain the hold off. If you don't understand the difference between the flare and the hold-off go away and read a book about it.

A side story, my "favourite" landing technique was from one of aviation's "experts" in the NT who makes pilots look out of the side window to judge the hold off. I flew with a pilot who'd been using this technique for 12 months and his landings were inconsistent and of a poor standard - I wouldn't send him solo based on his efforts! A few circuits of looking ahead had his landings back to perfect.