PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the reason to apply to QR?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 00:28
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all relative...

I think it is not an easy answer. For most, the situation is "relative" - perhaps Qatar offers a better situation relative to their CURRENT situation... You can find many pilots in difficult situations these days...

For example, Qatar evidently just hired something like 50 DECs on the A320 fleet from Spanair. Well, with Spanair's bankruptcy and the fact that conditions are getting much worse in Spain and the rest of Europe, Qatar represented a good opportunity for those without a job... Add similar situations at Malev, Air Comet, Olympic and other Euro carriers that have died or are dying... Most European carriers are struggling with cost issues and aggressive LCC competition and most pay packages/benefits will decline over time. It's a fact. Look at all of the Airbus rated pilots at Kingfisher in India who make become jobless soon - many will be attracted to Airbus opportunities and better pay at EK, QR and the other that should not be named. So, you cannot blame someone for wanting to improve their lives in difficult situations... Others are just looking for a temporary situation to assess their future careers - perhaps 3 years in the Gulf at Qatar will serve as a good place to orbit and contemplate their situations for some people...

Some positives about Qatar Airways and living in the Middle East from my research:

- Tax free status with an opportunity to save some money (would be very difficult to return to the UK, France, Italy or the Scandi countries after enjoying tax free status in Qatar or the UAE)

- Most direct living expenses taken care of (villa provided or payment in lieu of a villa for your own accomodations) and most educational expenses covered, etc.

- Better weather most of the time (excluding the burning mid summer in the Middle East - beats the cold winter in Northern Europe)

- Opportunity to see the world (or at least more of the world than you saw at your previous airline if you worked for non-legacies)

- Opportunity to fly newer and more sophisticated aircraft with a faster upgrade time than at most legacies (certainly Europe and North America where it could take 12-15 years to upgrade to the left seat of a narrowbody at a legacy). Big career advancement is actually possible at these airlines - if you qualify and you are hired at EK, it is possible you could fly as Captain on an A380 in 10 years time - that is not possible in Europe by a very long shot. I have read that Qatar will receive 5 787s in 2012 and then something like 1 new 787 every 3 weeks for 4 years (60 total 787s including options). That presents great growth opportunities for pilots...

- More positive economic growth story in the Middle East. Negative growth in Europe and impending doom is depressing. Doha growth is booming for now while Europe is crumbling...

- Great multi-cultural learning opportunity for many people - you will find people from many countries living in these big cities

- If you are single and you live in Dubai, you can live a great lifestyle with fantastic nightlife (I hear Doha and Abu Dhabi are not as vibrant for singles)

Some negatives related to living in the Middle East and flying for EK, QR or EY based on discussions with pilots at each:

- These airlines will work you very hard - up to the edge of the legal limit and you will likely be exhausted a lot of the time (both shorthaul and longhaul)

- Very difficult to commute back to Europe, North/South America, Asia or Australia - probably should try for a longhaul fleet at QR (777, 787 or A330/340) if you want to briefly see some of these places during a layover

- Cultural differences that some people cannot handle

- Very expensive locations - despite living accomodations paid for, Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi are expensive and you will burn through some of that tax-free money if you have a family and you want to live "well"

- Family challenges - living far away from home (e.g., UK or Australia) can place strain on many marriages/relationships and I have heard that divorce is quite common as a result. Some people/spouses prefer to stay home forever.

- The perception that these managements view pilots as just another resource - this could be cultural viewpoint or just a simple lack of appreciation like at most airlines (in the ME, you are a cog in the wheel and you can leave when your training bond is paid off...)

These are just a few positives and negatives I could think of based on my research. I am sure there are many more that I have missed... Plus, I wasn't referring to FlyDubai which certainly resembles a European LCC in many respects - like a European LCC but with much hotter weather.

So you can ask yourself some questions: Tired of paying astronomical taxes in Europe? Come to the Middle East... Aspire to fly a Dreamliner some time during your career? Come to the Middle East... Do you want to get out of the LCC rat race (in Europe) and you are tired of the same old LCC destinations and routines? Come to the Middle East... Want a great multi-cultural experience? Come to the Middle East...

But if you expect to not work hard as these managements attempt to squeeze as much productivity out of you as they can - then avoid the Middle East.... Again, based on what I have heard, just expect to work hard if you are employed by one of these airlines - then you will not be so surprised. Just keep your expectations in check.

In the end, do your research and make a choice that fits your personal situation. Sorry if I missed a few things. That's my $0.02.

Last edited by Iver; 9th May 2012 at 03:14.