PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours student pilot generally have when going first solo?
Old 8th May 2012, 09:54
Avgas172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much depends on the skill of your instructor. Grade 3 instructors which dominate the larger flying schools are inexperienced since most of them have only recently obtained the instructor rating directly after graduation with 150 or 200 hours with a CPL.
What load of rubbish, I learnt to fly in PA38 JEM at YBCS, traffic, (mostly heavy) weather, waiting clearances and transit to the trg area were the deciding factors. The young instructors with low hours were often the best of the lot ..... a certain young instructor in particular saved my arse by telling me to just let go of the controls and let the plane fly if I was in doubt when doing incipent spin training (and I did just that when solo at 20 odd hours and entering an inverted spin at 4000 amsl over double island in the tramahawk) on the other hand a senior Instructor (no names) punched me on short final for rwy 12 because I wasn't going to make the glide approach, nearly causing us both to cark it. Incidently it was 17 hours in my log book for solo .........